Friday, April 09, 2010

My camera is broke, dead, kaput

Sigh..... Tuesday Kelsey and her friend used my camera (Canon DSLR Rebel xt that I have had for 5 years, and love) to take modeling shoot type pictures.

Not a big deal, normally, however this time, some how, some way the memory card was put in wrong, and it bent three of the pins to a 90 degree angle.

Meaning it is now a hunk of $1000 junk (because since I bought it 5 years ago, it was still the "newest" thing from Canon, I know they do not run that much anymore, but mine cost me that much).

Jerry being the electronics junkie that he is thought he might be able to fix it, however he can not get to the pins easily.

We can send it off to get it fixed, its $120 to fix the pins, as long as there is nothing else wrong.

Knowing my luck, not only did they bend the pins, but they probably broke something inside the camera too.

I know they didn't do it on purpose, but it sure as heck felt like they did on Tuesday, and even Wednesday.

Because now my stress reliever of being able to just snap a picture is gone. The ability to share the lives of the kids with the family that is in Arizona, California, Iowa and Mississippi is gone. 

All week long I have seen such beautiful things in nature that I would have loved to just grab my camera and share with the world, but have no way of doing so. I know I can use the camera on my phone but it sucks, some people get great pictures off thier camera phones, me not so much.

Plus I am out of a camera for DJ's first baseball game, both of the girls' birthdays, and prom. The biggie for me is prom, I planned on offering to take outdoors pictures on the river in Macon or where ever anyone wanted for prom.

Oh man, I just thought about it, I was asked to shoot a wedding in June, the weekend before my family reunion in Iowa. Now I can't promise the couple that I can do it, because if I mail off the camera to be fixed I have no way of knowing how long it will take them to send it back, even if it is just the bent pins. Which means the opportunity to learn about shooting a wedding, the opportunity to be an important part of their day, the opportunity to see if taking pictures for money is what I really want to try and do, or if I would rather keep taking pictures for friends and for fun, is gone.

sigh..... can I cry now?

One of my parents from school has loaned me her point and shoot, so I can get pictures, I just need to get some film and batteries, which I will be doing in the morning before baseball.

But still sigh.....

I feel like my heart has been ripped out, because we can not afford to go out and buy a new camera, even the cheap point and shoot kind right now. Plus I am so spoiled by my Canon, I am not sure I even know how to use a point and shoot anymore.

I am going to miss being able to adjust the settings for exposure.

I am going to miss setting the timer and letting it do its thing.

I am going to miss being able to throw on my "big" lens and getting pictures that look like I am 5 feet from the subject, when I am 100 feet or more away from the subject.

I am going to miss the ability of looking at the picture as soon as I snap it and knowing if I got the shot I wanted.

I don't know when the opportunity to get either the camera I have (that is dead, broke, kaput) fixed, or to buy a new one is going to happen, which makes me want to cry, scream, pull my hair out.

No comments: