Sunday, March 13, 2011

Tolerance

Dictionary.com says

: tol·er·ance

  [tol-er-uhns]  Show IPA
–noun
1.
a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differfrom one's own; freedom from bigotry

I have tried to not say anything about this subject because I know it can get heated, and I know that not everyone shares my views, but things have been said lately to my children that make me feel like I need to at least get it off my chest on here. I am not writing this to start a debate, or call anyone out. I am writing this to explain why I am upset. 

People are different, all over the world people are different, be it religion, sexuality, race, whatever the case may be. I expect my children to treat EVERYONE the same. I believe that on the inside we are all the same, and that NO ONE should judge you for it. I expect that if the Human Race as a whole were more tolerant to those who are different than them, there would be a heck of a lot less problems in the world. And I expect that people in authority especially over those in their teens should model tolerance, and being more accepting. 

Maybe we are more tolerant as a family because of our life experiences, my children have been raised all over, starting in Arizona, and Florida and moving to the United Kingdom for 8 years. Maybe being exposed to all of the differences of cultures that are in the United Kingdom and Europe is why they are more tolerant that people that we have met since moving to Georgia, people who have never lived outside of this local area. 

I get very upset when people who are authority figures in my own children's lives purposefully go about trying to change this thinking in my children. Especially on a topic such as tolerance, and what they should be accepting of in others. How can that be considered the good Christian thing? 

I don't bash you because you are not tolerant, and I would expect the same from you. 

No comments: