Saturday, May 30, 2009

On Being an Air Force Wife Part 6

Through my blog I get a lot of questions about what it is like being an Air Force wife.

I know that my experiences are not typical, and that some other spouses have had a harder time with being married to the military, while others yet, have an easier time.

I have decided to post some parts of emails that I have sent in answer to questions that I get as a way to help others.

I know that some people may disagree with my answers, because their experience is different than mine, and that is fine.

I am just saying that this is my experience, my life and the way that I have seen things unfold in the last 14 years of being married into the Air Force.

If your experience is different then you post about it on your blog, please don't slam me for my experiences.

I also decided to post our story, mostly because I have never typed it all out. (yes there are parts that I have not included, deal.)

So without further ado here is part six, life after crosstraining, AKA Georgia:

December 2007 came fast and yet slow.

I was not able to get a teaching job for that fall, because we were on orders to move to Georgia.

I had resigned my position at the alternative school that summer, because Jerry was going to be gone, and we lived to close to the school for me to feel comfortable teaching with him gone.

Plus we were paying for Jerry to live in the billiting at Keesler ($45 a night), $100 more out of our pocket per month on our mortgage. So money was very tight.

Jerry graduated from tech school right before Thanksgiving, and we spent the holiday with his mom.

Jerry had to report to Robins before Christmas, but due to a mixup at Keesler our stuff could not be packed out until over Christmas, which was fine with us. He and the kids ended up coming up to Georgia on the 30th, and I followed on the 3rd, after our stuff was packed out. (and after getting the car fixed due to extreme cold weather.)

Since being here we have dealt with a whole new side to the Air Force. It has not been a fun ride (its getting better, probably because we have moved away from the base and base community.)

If we can ever rent out or sell our house in Florida (the military is no help what so ever on that!) we will be in pretty good shape.

I guess at this point the best advice I can give anyone in the military or joining the military is not to ever ever ever buy a house while you are still in. It seems they will screw you every time, and make you move before it is reasonable. (for more on that you can look at posts on here about housing).

We still need people to stand up and write and fight for the military man and woman. We still need people to tell congress how wrong it is that the FBI/CIA/Postal service have their homes bought from them when they are transfered and the military member is left to be foreclosed on.

No comments: