Thursday, September 03, 2009

I want to know.. What do you think about President Obama's upcoming speech?

I want to know.. What do you think about President Obama's upcoming speech?

I saw the letter from the education secretary in my box yesterday afternoon at school when I was there to write lesson plans for today, but I didn't take the time to read them. So I don't know what exactally the Education secretary says in his letter, or what suggestions he has.

I am kind of curious how we are going to show it to our students, since the only access we have to the internet in my classroom is on my teacher computer, with its 15inch screen. Unlike some of the bigger districts around us, we do not have the hook up into our tvs.

Oh and add in the part that if all 30 of us that teach at our school try to stream this at once, we are probably going to break our server.

Now the reason why I am wondering what you think, is that there are people out there that are saying that Mr. President is going to use this as an opportunity to get into the kids brains (like 90% of them will actually be listening).

Here is the article that got me wondering what everyone thinks:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20090903/pl_ynews/ynews_pl888_1

3 comments:

JG said...

I think most people's apprehension is that this speech comes with instructions guiding the students' interpretations and reactions. Apparently Bush 1 gave a school-day address, but his didn't come with the suggestion to write "Dear Leader" letters. Most schools here are closed Tuesday anyway, and the ones that are open (from what I understand) are by and large not showing the speech, saying they have precious little time to productively teach as it is and if the kids' parents want to tape the speech and watch it at home, that's fine.

The Four Week Vegan said...

First, it is not mandatory. Second, if you watch it, you don't have to do the guide. Third, it is highly doubtful that there will be anything other than rah rah stay in school type stuff in this speech. I don't have a problem with it.

Unknown said...

Its mandatory for our school, I am just not sure how they think we are going to do it. Guess I will find out tomorrow or on Tuesday.