Friday, May 06, 2011

Fw: Tell Congress to Listen to the Experts (educators) on ESEA Reauthorization


Message sent to the following recipients:
Representative Scott
Senator Chambliss
Senator Isakson
Message text follows:

Patricia Cleveland

May 6, 2011

As an educator and a constituent, I would like to express my views about
the upcoming reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act
(ESEA).

I hope that Congress will listen to me and my fellow educators as you
craft a reauthorization bill. Educators want to ensure every student a
great public school.  We know what works in the classroom and our ideas
and innovations will help make ESEA better.

I call on Congress to craft a reauthorization bill that will end the
obsession with high-stakes, poor-quality tests and that will ensure better
assessments and a focus on rich, 21st Century skills.  This is critical to
ensure that all students are prepared to thrive in a democratic society
and in a diverse and rapidly changing world.

I urge you to ensure that students have reliable support from educators,
parents, communities, and their policy makers.  Struggling students and
schools that need help shouldn't be forced to compete for it-help should
be a guarantee.

ESEA reauthorization must champion adequate, equitable, and sustainable
resources and opportunities for all public schools. And, it must reject
proposals that limit models of school turnaround that are not proven to
work and offer no viable options for rural and frontier districts.

I hope I can count on you to listen to the experts - those of us who work
in schools across the nation - as you reauthorize ESEA.

Thank you for your consideration of my views on this very important issue.

Sincerely,


Patricia Cleveland

No comments: