Monday, January 30, 2012

Space Camp Tweetup #SmileMovie Day 1

Last Wednesday after school I drove about 6 hours northwest to Huntsville Alabama to the US Space and Rocketry Center/Space Camp. I had an absolutely amazing time, some of which is hard to even think about putting into words. We had the opportunity to participate in many of the activities that the campers enjoy when they attend Space Camp. Plus we got to go "behind the scenes" for just that little bit extra. I am going to have to break my trip into several posts over several days, because there really was just too much to try and put into one post. I hope everyone tuned into the movie A Smile As Big As The Moon last night on ABC, if I hear about it being online or returning to tv I will let everyone know for those that may have missed it. You do not want to miss it!

Thursday morning I woke up to the pouring rain and wondered which of the weather spirits I have made mad that my second Tweetup would also be a very rainy tweetup?!? At least this one nothing could be delayed because of the rain (well except SCUBA, if it started lightening).
IMG_9872

Walking in the gift shop to go and check in this work of art was there to greet us.
IMG_9873

We then went with our Tweep extraordinaire Charity @SpaceCampUSA upstairs in the building to our Charging Station, and this was our sight upon coming out the door.
IMG_9874 The Underwater Astronaut Trainer, and that is when I knew dreams really did come true.

The other view
IMG_9875
I mean really could it get any better?

IMG_9877
IMG_9879

And the view behind us....
IMG_9883

After dropping off our belongings we went to explore the museum for a little bit before we got started. Rock climbing on Mars.
IMG_9884

IMG_9891
Piloting the sims
IMG_9892
IMG_9899
Then we got down to business and had our introductions
IMG_9901
And we were off!
Group photo
IMG_9903
Our mission briefing for Friday's orbital missions
IMG_9905
Next we headed for the 1/6th gravity chair
IMG_9947 Oh it was so much fun!!!
And the MultiAxis Trainer
IMG_9990, honestly as long as you don't move your head you don't feel dizzy when you get off.
After dinner we had our time in the Underwater Astronaut Trainer, aka SCUBA
IMG_0012
When our group was done with the UAT the other group went in, and we went to the Dr. Von Braun exhibit. IMG_0014IMG_0032IMG_0054



Follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/scienceesl

No comments: