Saturday, January 03, 2009

Did you know that you still have a chance to see history being made?

President Elect Obama's inauguration team is sending 10 lucky people to attend the inauguration.


You could be there on Inauguration Day as Barack Obama is sworn in as the
44th President.
Ten supporters will be selected between now and midnight on
January 8th to join the inaugural activities. You and a guest could be flown to
Washington, D.C., put up in a hotel, and be part of this once-in-a-lifetime
event.
You do not have to donate to be selected. President-elect Obama is
committed to the most open and accessible inauguration in history.
Tell us
what this inauguration means to you and you could be a part of it.

Now the catch is that you have to donate at least $5.00 to the event, but they claim that they are also giving a few of these chance to people that don't want to donate, or can't donate (which is how I signed up). But it would be pretty neat to see history being made, and being able to witness this history as a guest of the inauguration team.

This is what I put on my entry.

Being a part of this inauguration would mean sharing a part of history with my children, and my third grade students. I work at a 100% free lunch title one school in a lower economic area of Georgia. 95% of my class is African American, and watching President Elect Obama be elected to office, meant a great deal to my students and their families. We talked about the historical significance of the entire election all year, and our class was the election headquarters for the school wide mock election. My class predicted a win for President elect Obama hours before anyone else did, and they were very proud that they were correct. I would be honored to be selected to attend the inauguration in order to be privileged enough to share this event through pictures and words with my students, their families, and indeed the entire community in which I serve. I am a very active photographer and my students and I enjoy learning though experience. I would also be honored to share the experience with my blog readers, who like me, due to financial reasons would never be able to make the trip to Washington DC to see this historic event. I feel that I could share this event through my own eyes with thousands of people, through my teaching, blog, and continued teaching as the years go on. I would be honored to be selected to attend this wonderful historical event.

It may not get me selected, but it is the truth.

No comments: