Thursday, July 24, 2008

More progress made

Today was the new employee orientation at the school district.

Can I say, WOW?

Yes we are a small, low income district, but WOW, the board and the superintendents are trying to make sure that we have top kids.

The benefit package, is really good. Better than anything I had in Florida.

The Assistant Superintendent of instruction is a treasure chest of information, and help.

The Superintendent fights for more for the schools. More money, more help, just more.

The board staff, all seem like if you need anything just ask, and they will help you find a way to get what you need, or to answer any questions.

Needless to say, I left that meeting even happier about this teaching position than when I walked in, and I was pretty happy when I walked in.

Plus I met 2 of the 3 other 3rd grade teachers. I think we are going to get along great! We already have discussed doing lots of planning as a team, sharing ideas and lessons.

After the meeting we were supposed to meet with the payroll/HR person, to make sure everything was in order to get paid next month. The line was out the door, so I ran to my classroom and worked for just over an hour.

The fabric and border are up on the board outside of my room.

The fabric is up on the star puzzle board.

And I have started placing the fabrics for the big board.

I think I have figured out why I have about a thousand books in my room. Last year the 3rd grade was departmentalized. So I think that I have the room that was reading. Which means I am going to have to share the wealth, as far as the books go, but that is fine by me!

My meeting for tomorrow was cancelled, so my plan right now is to go get the girls information to transfer them. Then go out and work on my room/register them for school. Hopefully if I do that I will be able to get the boards done plus get started on organizing the books.

The only downside to my day, was Lowes.

I had to work from 4-9 and I didn't get back in town until 330. So I didn't have time to come home and change. I didn't even think about it being a big deal, except I didn't have tennis shoes. I didn't even realize until I was pulling in the parking lot. Literally at 4. So I went in, clocked in and then told K about it. She told me to go home and change shoes. Going home meant missing an hour of work, plus 20 miles on the Trailblazer. Lots of gas.

Luckily J happened to be in the parking lot, and she had rain boots in her car that I borrowed. I just had to run to Walgreens and get a pair of socks. I looked like a dork, rain boots, and a dress with pearls.

Then there is the fact that they didnt change my availability, so this next week I am scheduled to open 4 days. As soon as the schedule came out I told them that I couldn't do it and they needed to fix it. K misunderstood me, I guess, because she didnt change it, and then tonight gave me crap about it. I told her that on the original availability form that I turned in a month ago that as of July 25th this was my new schedule.

I can't be there during the week.

I really don't want to close on Sundays, but they wont work with that. Plus she is purposely scheduling me to close on Sundays now. I close the day before school starts, plus the following Sunday. I swear to you I think she did it on purpose. I think if I hadn't requested this Sunday off for the Welcome back reception at school,(that has been canceled) I would be closing.

Oh yeah thats the other thing K gave me a hard time about. The fact that I changed my availibilty to weekends only, but need a day off.

Jerry told me tonight to give my notice. Well really he told me just to quit. But until I am getting real pay from school we cant afford for that to happen. Hopefully by October, but I am not holding my breath.
Post a Comment