Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday evening update, out of hospital

Its been a long day!

Jerry's blood pressure was high all night, so the nurse and tech were in and out about every hour. I didn't get a whole lot of sleep. I don't think for the most part they really woke Jerry up. Go figure.

This morning his blood pressure was still running high, but not to where they were worried about it. So about 8:45 I told Jerry I was going to go back to the hotel, take a shower and a nap, and would be back.

MIL and BIL met me at the first floor elevator. I think I upset MIL because I wasn't waiting for the Dr. Howsers* to come and check in. But I needed an escape for a few hours. MIL stayed with Jerry long enough to meet with the Dr. Howsers and ask them questions. She said it sounds like they are going to wait until we come back in July to see what happens with his potassium as he is being weaned off of the reflux medicine. Which sounds like a decent plan to me.

I went back to the hotel, took a shower, and then relaxed for a bit. I couldn't fall asleep like I wanted so I ended up packing up all of our stuff and putting it in the car. I figured if Jerry stayed in the hospital I could get up early and check us out in the morning, not having to worry about getting our stuff.

While I was grabbing some lunch Jerry called me and said that they were releasing him. So I came back to the hospital and waited with him.

Jerry was released from the hospital about 3 pm this afternoon.

Since it was so late in the afternoon, and since we are not sure if he has an appointment tomorrow or not, we are staying again tonight. We have schedules that have an appointment for in the morning with the doctor, and another that does not have one until July. Plus we need to get a note from Jerry's doctor about his restrictions and what not for work. Goodness knows that some of the idiots that he works with will expect him to be back to normal on Tuesday!

I asked Jerry about the three flights of stairs at our hotel, and he said they had an elevator, but I think it was broken more than it worked, since I never saw anyone use it. Plus I was going to have to ask for clean sheets for the bed, and we would have to share a bed tonight, or more than likely I would be sleeping on the floor. I decided that we should check out from there and check in to one of the hotels on Mayo property. If we have to pay for it ourselves we will.

After I got Jerry comfortable at the hotel on Mayo, I went to check out of the other hotel, then to get his prescriptions filled. I went to the Evil Empire by the hotel, and they didn't have 3 of the medicines. The tech called the two Evil Empires that are closer to Mayo, and one of them had all of the prescriptions.

The only problem then was that the one reflux medicine that the Dr. Howsers gave him is not covered by Tricare, without prior approval. Luckily the pharmacist called over here to the hospital and talked to the Dr. Howsers and they changed that medicine, plus changed the dosage of the potassium prescription so that the strength that Evil Empire had in stock would work.

Now we are relaxing at the hotel. Jerry has taken a nap and a shower. I have eaten dinner from the restaurant.

Tomorrow I will get up early and call to double check Jerry's schedule, and put in a call to Dr. B's nurse about the letter for the Air Force. Then we should be on our way home. It will probably take us a long time to get home, since I don't know how long Jerry will be able to ride.
Post a Comment