Saturday, January 26, 2008

Job fair update

So this morning I went to a teacher job fair in the next county over. There were 6 of the school districts that are within 40 miles or so of that town represented. Except for our school district, because they have their own job fair next weekend.

I woke up a little late, and hadn't printed off my resumes to take, so I didn't get up there until about 10:45. Which wasn't a big deal.

After signing in at the main table, I went around and talked to a couple of the districts and a couple of the schools.

Its been 14 years since I have attended one of these, so I really didn't know what to expect. I didn't know if they would all be in the gym, and you just handed them your resumes, or how it worked. How they did it was each district had their own hallway of the high school, where the fair was held. Then each school had their own room. You could look at each schools information tables, and then go in and talk to the administrator or one of the teachers (depended on the school, which).

One school district you filled out the paper application and then you could talk to the administrators. There was a line about 15 people long there so I said I would come back.


Then I went into the hallway that had the middle and high schools from the town's district.

And then...


We have success!

I was offered a contingency contract for one of the middle schools that is about 20 miles from the house. I asked if I could come home and talk to Jerry about it, and if I could come and see the school first. I learned the hard way last time, walking in sight unseen. I learned the hard way last time we moved not to do that. So on Monday I am to call the school and set up an appointment for Thursday to go up and have more time to sit and talk with the principal.

I also got to talk for a couple of minutes with the director of that district's ESOL program, and she took a copy of my resume and said that she would be in touch (this conversation happened in the middle of the conversation with the school representative).

I really want to go to the local districts teacher job fair next weekend, before I make a decision about where I would like to teach.

I also have to call the school where I think I am going to do the long term sub position on Monday. I was supposed to go by on Friday, but with DJ being sick it didn't happen. I want to take the principal there my new revamped resume, since he is the one that gave me tips on how to make it pop, and see if there is anything else I should work on before the next job fair.

I feel better about the job hunt than I did yesterday, or last week, or last month, or last year. I feel like this is the reason why we were moved here, because I have a positive vibe with this whole process. Plus I have a feeling like this is a place where we can be happy for a long time.


If you haven't already seen the post below, but Tricia got to go down this morning to see the baby! Check out Nathan's blog for pictures of the momentous event!

Alice in South Africa still needs prayers for her infection after her double lung transplant.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Awesome. You rock.

I'm so glad you're feeling good. Wherever you end up will be lucky to have you.

Valerie said...

Yay! Sounds like everything is going well! Good Luck!