Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sunday, not quite super Sunday, but Sunday indeed

It is now almost 8 pm, and I am still in my pajamas. How is that for a lazy Sunday?

Now I wouldn't really call today lazy though. It was spent hanging pictures, emptying boxes, rearranging kids rooms, going through toys and books.

The garbage men will probably hate me again come Tuesday. There are boxes upon empty boxes out by the road waiting to be collected. Of course the pile is smaller than yesterday when we had put out some older furniture that we didn't need, and people have come along and asked if they could have them. And I am sure that it will get even smaller before Tuesday from people that need boxes for moving that stop by and pick some up. I know I could probably have listed them on Craigslist or Freecycle, but honestly that sounded like more hassle than it was worth, and I figure that last time we put out this many boxes I think the garbage men only picked up 5.

I have most of the pictures up on the walls. There are a few that I can't find, but they are decorations type of pictures, so nothing too bad. There are a few things that I am not hanging up this time, and there are some things from my Grandma's house that I got, that I didn't hang up before that I have now.

We got DJ's room arranged and I went through all of his toys and books, washing and packing up the ones that he has out grown. I know where they are going, along with blankets and his first Christmas outfits, but I have to wait a few more weeks before I spill the news, because I promised. Not even the girls know. :evilgrin: But knowing where the stuff is going, and knowing that it is going to someone that I know and love made it that much easier to pack it all up. Because I admit giving up his baby stuff, knowing he is my last baby was tough, and I put it off, and put it off. Now I know why I put it off. :)

Going through all of the boxes was tough today. came home from the funeral, and even after the trip up to see her the last time, we brought home stuff that had meaning for me. I put some of it out to be seen every day, and others of it, we just never found the perfect spot for it. My curio cabinet here is over flowing, because I have put so much of it in there (we need shelves, or another curio), but I want to be able to see it every day, and remember the love that I had for my Grandma.

The one that really got me in tears was the last of my Grandma's Duck Glasses. It only holds maybe 6 ounces and every morning Grandma would serve orange juice, and on the weekends we had Cherry-go-round. Just seeing that glass today made me be able to smell the Cherry-go-round.

Here is the recipe for Cherry-go-round

1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour

For the Filling:
2 cans (16 ounces each) pitted tart cherries, well drained
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans

For the Icing:
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 to 2 tablespoons milk


In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add warm milk, sugar, butter, salt, egg and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Line two baking sheets with foil and grease well; set aside. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 14-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Spread cherries over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine the flour, brown sugar and pecans; sprinkle over cherries.

Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on prepared baking sheets; pinch ends together to form a ring. With kitchen scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly and twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over warm coffee cakes.

I don't think grandma did it as a jelly roll, if I remember correctly she did it in a cake pan and cut slits in it. I think I am going to email my mom for the recipe that she has.

If you could keep Nathan, Tricia, and Gwyneth in your thoughts and prayers. They are having some rough days, mentally right now it sounds like. I am praying that they continue to do well physically, and improve every day.

Alice, in South Africa is off of the vent! Which is wonderful news.
Post a Comment